Re: [IP] question for y'all

Susan,

These are some of the symptoms of gastroparesis -- a form of autonomic
neuropathy where the perystalycic (spell?) movement of the
gastro-intestinal system is impaired and food absorption gets wacky.
While there are several drugs used to treat gastroparesis, it sounds like
your symptoms are still pretty mild.  There are a number of things you can
do to improve the symptoms and that tend to reverse some of the neuropathy
and may help you avoid the drugs.  The drugs are not really meant to be
taken forever and their effectiveness is limited anyway.

Here are some of the strategies I have compiled from a combination of
medical library research and dieticians, doctors, experience etc:

1).  Avoid lots of fat and protein.  Carbs are digested faster and more
easily and with a pump you can match your insulin to them.  Fat is the
bigger problem than protein.

2).  The better your blood sugars are the less you will have problems and,
conversely, the more swinging your blood sugar does the more problems you
will have.  Problem is that the more gastroparesis you have, the more your
bgs will be out of wack b/c of food absorption problems and timing.  So,
try eating less to staballize bgs and eating predictable foods.

3).  Lots of fiber and fruits and vegetables help although the first week
or so they may initial make things harder, not easier.  Long term they make
substantial improvements.  Red Bell Peppers, Pineapple, Peppermint, and
Kiwi all contain an enzyme which causes muscle contractions in the stomach
and intestines and tend to help address the fact that the neuropathy
inhibits the contractions.

Hope that helps some,

Good luck,

Ruth