Re: [IP] Research Study: Interruption of CSII (lispro v humalog)

> The problem is that some kids sleep 10 or more hours per night and
> this research only tested for 5 hours.   So I wouldn't stick this
> article under the nose of a pump-reluctant ped endo.

I doubt there is a kid (or anyone) with diabetes that could not pee
for 10 hours if their insulin were withdrawn. For DKA you must have 3

1) high bg's
2) dehydration
3) keytones

The circumstance would have to be very unusual for a pump failure
alone to cause all three of the above. If the person were ill and
dehydrated or if keytones and high bg's were there for some other
reason then it could happen, but a person in that condition should be
watched carefully in any event.

I'm of the opinion that the reluctance to use a pump or a pump with
Humalog because of the reason is not based on any scientific
underpinnings, just old wives tales.

What the study shows is that under normal circumstances, the risk of
elevated bg's due to insulin interruption is no different on lispro
than it is on regular insulin. This is in contradiction to the
arguments put forth by some endos (as related on this list) about not
using lispro in pumps.