[IP] in defense of Barb

someone wrote:

> I would be most interested in exactly where you got that information.
> Where was it published.  What medical journal has printed it.  In what
> year, month, issue does it appear?  I think some good references are
> in order.

I think an apology is in order.  I know I can't hear your "tone" of voice,
but the words sound agressive, challenging and almost mean!  Barb is a
registered nurse with DECADES worth of experiece.  I am quite comfortable
with any statistic, number or suggestion she would make.  I don't think she
would pull things out of her butt, like I and others tend to do.  She knows
her stuff, and I felt the tone of this post was kinda challenging, like she
ws bullsh*ting us...Just cuz the "average" is 80-130, doesn't mean there
aren't maybe 20-40% of the "normal" population who have swings of 100-180!

> Good control should always be much less than you suggest.

I disagree with this.  Aren't we lucky this is America and I can freely voice
my opinion?  I think aiming for an A1c of under 6.0 is a sign of an extremely
disturbed individual.  That said, I would never for ONE SECOND deny one his
or her right to obsess over blood sugars like this, but would remind everyone
that there are NO studies that show that this type of control eliminates
complications.  And in fact, lots of lows tend to aggravate some of the
complications.  If you have the right gene combinations, you WILL get
them...maybe not for 40 or 50 years, and you'll be almost dead then anyway,
but why live in a rubber room, eating nothing but 15 carb chunks of 1975 ADA
approved foods in that attempt???  It is IMPOSSIBLE to have blood sugars
ALWAYS between 80 and 130, 24/7, without herculean efforts that would drive
most normal people crazy in less than a week!  Sure you might get your A1c
down to 5.7 the first 3 months on the pump, but will you be able to keep up
the required diligence for the REST of your LIFE???