[IP] More on insulin @ room temp

Years ago when I was hitchiking through Guatemala (and carrying glass insulin syringes around in alcohol tubes{a luxury item at the time} I was not using Humalog LOL but NPH which is of course, more stable, but it was NOT recommended in the USA to have it out of the fridge for more than 1/2 hour.  Well, at that time, 1972, I had decided to carry it with me anyway- 3 months in the tropics and NO LOSS of potency - although at that time I thought it would become toxic not just 'lose power'- nobody told me WHY I 'should' refridgerate it, I was just told not to- end of story.  Five years before, while working on an all 'girl' crew down the coast of Mexico, I kept my insulin refridgerated until the refer blew out and then I kept it in the refer at a local hotel - where they froze it solid!  After that I kept it with me always-  back ups still go in the fridge, but I don't like being separated from my Humalog for long and have never had any issues with it losing potency or anything e!

Obviously YMMV  BUT, I wonder why it never occured to those 'bad' docs out there that the reason they find so many of us 'bad' non-compliant diabetics is because they perpetuate so much inaccurate information.  Thirty years later and they're still doing it.  Some people, unlike me LOL, never learn.

Dianne  (Sara you can safely skip the rest of the messages below ;-)