Re: [IP] My first HbA1C since going on th epump

> I just went on the pump recently and I have Blue Cross and Blue
> Shield.  They covered the pump after I reached my deductible and my
> out of pocket expenses, but we also have a prescription plan that
> they say cannot be used, because the pump supplies are considered
> DME's and not a prescription item.  Have you dealt with this at all?
>  Is there anyway to fight this?  I will have to pay $500 out of
> pocket every year, until I get the supplies covered. i guess that
> really isn't a lot, but every little bit helps. Thanks, Beth

BC/BS covers the pump supplies under home medical or durable medical
supplies, not the prescription plan. MM and D both will bill the
insurance company and you will pay the 20% and/or deductible amounts
exactly like any other medical expense. I purchase strips at the
local pharmacy, get a pharmacy receipt and file a claim periodically
for reimbursement.