Re: [IP] Re:insulin @ room temp (humalog)

> > Ruth,
> > There's really no need to refrigerate the bottle of insulin you're currently using.  I keep a bottle in my purse for approximately a month at a time.  In 13 1/2 years, I have had 1 bottle of insulin go bad.  And even then, I'm not sure it was due to heat.  It was NPH and could have just been a bad, flukey batch.  Don't worry about keeping it cold.  Just keep it from boiling.  ;-)
> Maybe so with NPH, but not with Humalog which is what most people use in pumps.
> Site degradation seems to happen as a result of too much heat, menaing room
> temperature. Humalog really needs to be kept refrigerated except when it's in
> the pump syringe so that it will last for more than 2.5 days.
> Ted Quick
> email @ redacted

For what it's worth, that hasn't been my experience with Humalog, when
either pumping or injecting.  The bottle of Humalog I'm currently
using goes with me everywhere (in my black backpack, in upstate NY
temperatures), and I only change resevoirs every four days or so.  I
haven't had any apparent problems with degraded insulin.

Dave Breeden                                           email @ redacted