Re: [IP] Re:insulin @ room temp and geneva trying the sil!

Jen Woodall wrote:
> > From: "Ruth Schneider" <email @ redacted>
> > Subject: [IP] insulin at room temp for loading cartridge
> >
> > I have been putting it either in a mug of warm/tepid water to do it quickly,
> > or putting it in the window where the sun hits.
> > will this mess up the chemical compounds at all?
> > ruth
> Ruth,
> There's really no need to refrigerate the bottle of insulin you're currently using.  I keep a bottle in my purse for approximately a month at a time.  In 13 1/2 years, I have had 1 bottle of insulin go bad.  And even then, I'm not sure it was due to heat.  It was NPH and could have just been a bad, flukey batch.  Don't worry about keeping it cold.  Just keep it from boiling.  ;-)

Maybe so with NPH, but not with Humalog which is what most people use in pumps.
Site degradation seems to happen as a result of too much heat, menaing room
temperature. Humalog really needs to be kept refrigerated except when it's in
the pump syringe so that it will last for more than 2.5 days.

Ted Quick