[IP] Re:cotton candy thoughts

> Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 14:52:50 PDT
> From: "gianna marzilli" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: Re: [IP] Cotton Candy...thoughts
> if you don't want to eat cotton candy and "risk" anything, then don'T! It is a
> different story
> for adults and little kids---(and somewhere in the middle for us teenagers)
> It is easier for an adult to say no because of possible long term
> consequences . . .but for a kid?? I don't think so.  It is still hard for me
> to make the "right" choices, and if you are always denied, then you will
> make the wrong choices more often later!  A kid would get lots of happiness
> out of that little bit of cotton candy!  --Gianna

Oh, don't kid yourself.  I think I'm technically considered an adult, since I'll
be 30 in 6 weeks.  Grownups need the fun, too.  I've never lived a deprived
existence because of diabetes, and I don't plan to now.

To me, the real point of this cotton candy debate is that eating what you want to
eat is NOT a "wrong choice".  In fact, there is no wrong choice, and there is no
right choice.  There are just choices.  The person who sticks to the traditional,
strict diabetic diet, the person who eats nothing but cotton candy, coke freezes,
and slurpees ;-), and the person who eats a basically well-balanced diet with
occasional splurges are all making choices about how to eat.  To me, the only
measure of "rightness" is one's own level of true comfort with the choice.  We
each have to strike the balance for ourselves between being careful with our
health and being joyful with our life.  Different people have different comfort
zones and a right to them.  The only real point of argument, as I see it, is that
we should allow other people a right to their choices.

Three people are given a diagnosis of terminal illness.  One decides to fight
every step of the way, going the route of traditional treatment.  Another decides
to pursue alternative treatments, believing that the side-effects of traditional
treatment are too severe.  The third decides not to treat the illness, but to live
the remainder of her time to the fullest.  Two thing are guaranteed: they will all
live, and then they will all die.  But how can we identify any of those choices as
right or wrong?