Re: [IP] steroids/bgs

In a message dated 8/16/99 7:01:19 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< My son, age 17 and pumping, recently had wisdom teeth removed (8/12) and
 placed on steroids to limit swelling.  I had fears of seeing skyrocketing
 bg's and questioned the surgeon about it.  He said he didn't think steroids
 would effect his bg's.  >>

Steroids cause insulin resistance and certainly *do* cause BGs to rise. When
I had a shot of cortisone, a sugar-free Popsickle could send me up 50 points.
I think it took about five days to get back to normal.