From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf
Of email @ redacted
Sent: August 15, 1999 8:26 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Re:Type 1 and 2...and optomism/parents too

Thanks Barb B., I wanted to clarify but you already did it and well.  A
comment, a person who is diagnosed as a Type 2 who shortly is down to making
NO insulin at all IS probably a misdiagnosed type 1 and likely will have
positive islet cell antibodies, etc.  On the other hand, many type two's
slowly, over years or decades, lose the ability to produce enough insulin
(even on diet and oral meds) and become insulin requiring, though they are
technically type 2's.  These persons don't usually go into DKA as they get
out of control, though they might go into "hyperosmolar coma" with super

There are many variables in diabetes, enough  so that my endo did a
level on me after 27 years of type 1 diabetes just to see if wasn't a "weird
type" after we were discussing the very high incidence of type 2 in my
(both parents, both of my grandmothers, both of my mother's sisters,  & one
of her 3 brothers has been told he is "glucose intolerant").  By the way, it
was negative (meaning I don't make any insulin, not a big surprise....but
that I have hit 40, I'm watching for a rise in resistance to insulin to see
if that type 2 tendency shows up.)

Regarding optomism.......I allow myself to feel sorry for myself in limited
quantities, especially when I developed proliferative retinopathy.  But
frankly, the worry and sadness eats away at your heart and soul.  As it must
for those of you who are parents of diabetics ( or young people with with
diabetes, if you prefer).  I realized a long time ago, and it has helped
through the years to remind myself.......I am fine right now, I can do what
want, see just fine (no visual loss after lasering, now 9 years later),
my kids, work, etc.  If I let the worry of this disease take control of me
and make my life miserable now, I have let the worry impair an otherwise
life.  The complications that can significantly impact your life may NEVER
occur, and yet I would have let the mere POSSIBILITY of them ruin my life.
I'll deal with them if and when they arrive.

This is not meant as a criticism to those of you having problems with future
worries, or those with depression.  I've had my moments, though I haven't
to suffer clinical depression.  I just wanted to share what helps me.

As someone put it, tight control is the best we have for now.  So I do my
best, which isn't perfect, and get on with my life.

For those of you with children with diabetes, take heart!  So much more is
available to you from the moment of diagnosis than was to those of us
diagnosed decades ago! You have the ability to detect and correct those
numbers in the 200's that were probably common all the time in decades past.
 You have the ability to have so much better control at a young age that
children will totally "mess up" all the data on diabetic complications that
just won't apply to them in the same numbers (Hurrah!) and hopefully will
a cure.

My best to all...Linda