[IP] Site Degradation/Vitamins lower A1C?

Hi All,

I have a couple of questions about infusions sites and vitamins.

First - infusion sites:

I am just about to start with a Minimed 507C. I have read several postings
about site degradation and using alternative insulin mixtures.

This concerns me. I have been a type 1 diabetic for 33 years. I used to give
myself injections primarily in the legs (using bovine insulin). I lost a lot
of muscle mass (hypertrophy?) followed later by the deposition of fat.

About 10 years ago I switched to rotating from leg to leg to right side of
stomach to left side of stomach. Recently my endo suggested that I give the
shots at the same time of the day in the same place. So I have been mostly
using my stomach. Recently my stomach has been bruising a lot.

So now, when I start using comforts/sils. I am concerned that my stomach is
not going to hold up well. Any suggestions?

Next - vitamins:

I have a lot of diabetes books (most pre 1985) and John Walsh's books (Stop
the Rollercoaster and Pumping Insulin). I also read a lot on the web and in
this list. Only recently have I seem anything about vitamin supplements
being useful in preventing complications. I have been taking a number of
antioxidants over the last 6 months-year.

I take 1000 mg Vitamin C
       1000 mg Fish Oil (120 mg DHA & 180 mg of Eicsopentaenoic Acid)
       800 IU Vitamin E
       2500 IU of Vitamin A (as beta carotene)
       a general multivitamin
       5 mg Zestril (angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor - as a
                     preventative for both high blood pressure and kidney
       baby aspirin  (prevention of cardiovascular problems)

All the above is once a day.

On John Walsh's web site there was a posting of a series of Powerpoint
slides describing the relationship between complications and circulating
levels of various vitamins (http://www.diabetesnet.com/complslides.html). In
this slide presentation John describes how diabetics have low levels of
vitamin E and how low levels of Vitamin E and gamma linolenic acid leads to

There is a link to a discussion of treatment of neuropathy
(http://www.nsd.uib.no/yngve/helse/neuropat.shtml). In this paper the author
describes how diabetics lack the ability to produce normal levels of
prostagladins and prostacyclins. These compounds are important regulators of
cardiovascular and capillary blood vessels.

They recommend taking:
Evening Primrose Oil (a precursor to Gamma linolenic acid)
alpha Lipoic acid
Vitamin E

Has and endo/CDE discussed this with anyone on this list? I am thinking of
trying this.

I have a Ph.D. in Biochemistry and this is the first time have have read
about the prostacyclin and diabetes connection. This seems very sensible to

Also the other big benefit of the vitamin regimen seems to be that these
doses of vitamins (most C and E) seem to directly effect the hbgA1c levels.
My last A1C was 6.0, so I think that's good too.

Frank Kolakowski

Dr. Lee F. (Frank) Kolakowski, Jr.
Departments of Pharmacology and Biochemistry
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio