Re: [IP] Was Set Change Necessary?. . .

at Sun, 15 Aug 1999 22:43:54 EDT
>when I returned the resv to the pump and snapped it shut I should have done
>a 5. prime as I usually do
>when I change the set?
>Could this have contributed to the continuing high?

That priming (smaller may be sufficient, and priming is
more easily controlled and less often opened with Disetronic
than with your MiniMed) is necessary with either machine
after ANY disturbance to the mechanism, such as the removal
and re-insertion of reservoir (cartridge for D-users).
1) At that removal and re-insertion you should of course have
ALREADY disconnected from that syringe before being handled.
2) After you put it back in and clicked the driver-arms
down over the syringe-plunger. (or for Disetronic users,
inserted the drive-screw and nut down into the drive)
3) and closed the door on MiniMed pumps (or Disetronic
screwed down the adapter with the infusion-tube still attached)
4) Run the motor until droplets of insulin come out of the
disconnected end of the QuickRelease fitting or Maersk-set
fitting (Silhouette/Tender/Comfort).
NOW YOU KNOW next click or buzz from the pump WILL DELIVER
5) Reconnect to infusion set, deliver bolus or basal as desired.
this makes that next pump-stroke's insulin go into body.
IF YOUR INFUSION SET is still good!
Without the priming, strokes could have been taking up the
mechanical slack between the drive-mechanism and the syringe
for quite some time, or subtracting that slack from an
immediate bolus-attempt.

David C. Winegarden
Fremont, CA