Re: [IP] poor asbsorbtion

> cevans wrote:
> I am relatively new at pumping (3 months) and in the past month or so have
> experienced what I can only guess are poor absorption "episodes."  My sugars
> will be going along fine and all of a sudden they will shoot up to 250 and
> then an hour later (even after a bolus to bring it down) up to 300.  I'm only
> addressing times when I know my boluses have been correct and there's nothing
> else out of the ordinary going on.  I know to give myself an injection and
> change the site.  However, I'm becoming frustrated, since this happens almost
> once a week.

Are you using Humalog, Regular (or Velosulin) or a mix of H&R or (H&V). If you
use straight Humalog it's possible that the sites go bad sooner than if you used
a mix. Mine used to go bad at about 2.5 days on straight Humalog, now they last
for 6 days with a 5 to 1 mix of Humalog and R.

  I have used my lower abdomen almost exclusively for a couple of
> years now (injections), and have been doing so with the pump, too.  The nurse
> who set me up didn't make a big deal out of it.  I thought my angle was wrong
> (too shallow perhaps - I use silhuettes), but I have been very careful for the
> past couple of weeks.  The books don't talk much about this.  Should I go to
> bent needles?  Do people use the upper abdomen?

Yes, I use 4 zones on my abdomen, 2 upper zones each side of the naval in kidney
shaped areas, and 2 lower areas slightly smaller. The upper areas usually work
better than the lower ones. You may have just saturated the lower abdomen sites
from overuse. 4 areas spread it out better.

Ted Quick