[IP] setting and testing basal rates

It has been decided that I test my basal rates.  I have been on the pump
since July 8 and I think I am long overdue for this.  My trainer sent me a
copy of Pumping Insulin - Setting and Testing Basal Rates, pages 53 to 60
from the book Pumping Insulin.

I will starting the night test on Monday night.  I can't believe that I will
be going to bed without a snack.  It seem pretty simple to figure out
according to page 59.  Is there a lot of trial and error in setting this
basal rates?

Any suggestions you could give me regarding this would be appreciated.