Re: [IP] to Something is wrong

email @ redacted in message dated
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 02:20:26 EDT
Laurie asked about..
>been on a Disetronic Pump for 4 weeks,
>the first week and half went beautifully. ..
>I'm not doing anything different ...
>but the last 2 weeks, my bg's average 325.
4 things I can think of,
some already posted for you in IP by others:
1) Whenever bolus insulin from pump is questioned of effect,
USE A SYRINGE to bolus!
2) During "first week and half" you may have still been
affected by a declining amount, but still affected by the "tail"
of your previous NPH or Ultralente insulin. Any pump basal rate
established then you should forget and re-establish higher rate.
   I saw this two weeks ago after using NPH and Humalog for a
week. Then I got my pumps back, it took several days for my
basal-needs to rise from smaller-than-my-history amounts.
3) Assure your infusion-set delivery layer and consistent
performance. If using Tender/Silhouette/Comfort, the angle
as noted by..
4) If you question the pump's performance, you, using
Disetronic, get to try the "other" one.  Just be SURE you
take the batteries OUT of the one you "put away for next time".

David C. Winegarden
Fremont, CA