Re: [IP] Endo's and the pump

On Sun, 15 Aug 1999, Jill Nystul wrote:

> >Taylor is 8 and has been doing his injections and blood sugars since he was
> >diagnosed in March.  We just got the pen the beginning of June, and he has
> >done the pen injections since then.  I think it all depends upon the
> >maturity level of the child.  As I said we are also working at the pump and
> >his endo agrees that Taylor is ready for it even though he has only had D
> >for 5 months.
Why does he have to be responsible?? He was not responsible for
contracting the disease. As a parent, I consider it my responsibility to
do the very best I can for my children. I certainly didn't expect my
daughter to do the pump management nor would I expect any child to do the
necessary math and management on a strict MDI regimen. That job belongs
to my wife and I as responsible parents. Condider the 2 - 3 - 4 year olds
that are on pumps. Are they to be responsible for running the things??

I don't think so. They can't even give their own shots. Your endo needs
to get his thinking back to "real world" stuff. Kids are not responsible
for anything, parents are.