Re: [IP] Diabetes and depression????

I am also dealing with depression and have felt suicidal
occasionally since being diagnosed with DM.

I read an article in "Diabetes Forecast" a year or so ago
that showed some statistics.  They stated that the
percentage of diabetics that suffered from depression was
significantly higher than the percentage of the general

Please know that you are not alone in this.  You can write
me anytime if you wish.

--- Jessica Marder <email @ redacted> wrote:
> so, i'm posting this again, in a slightly more
> comprehensive format, with
> a proper subject line, in the hopes that there will be a
> little more
> discussion and response (i think my last post was a bit
> too brief on the
> subject...)
> i was diagnosed with diabetes about ten years ago when i
> was eleven...
> when i was thirteen i began suffering from depression (at
> some times i
> even became suicidal)... my depression was not diagnosed,
> until such time
> as i had managed to quietly flunk a year of college, and
> i realized that
> there must be something really** wrong for me to screw up
> that badly...
> this was now, two years ago...  as i've been slowly
> crawling up out of
> that deep dark hole i spent some time seeing a therapist,
> whose husband is
> a pediatrician, and she said that there was an apparent
> link between
> diabetes diagnosed in childhood or early adolescence and
> incidence of
> depression.... (she was upset that no one had ever told
> me or my
> parents... it might have helped us catch on to what was
> happening
> sooner...)
> does anyone know of any studies relating to this subject?
>  does anyone
> have any experience with diabetes and clinical
> depression?
> just trying to piece information together....
> -jess
> --
> Jessica Elena Marder
> email @ redacted