Re: [IP] Diabetes and depression????

    I've had diabetes for 42 years/pumping 3.  Six years ago I recognized
that my "self-worth attacks" (negative self-talk) were getting out or hand --
to the point of considering suicide.  Since I've kept a journal forever I
knew that the diabetes usually seemed to be at the root of any downward
spiral in my thoughts.  So I began by talking to my endo.  She was
extraordinarily supportive -- even to the point of making herself available
to me any time, day or night.  She had me increase an antidepressant I was
already taking, and sent me to a psychiatrist who was experienced with people
with diabetes.  Probably one of the most important things the psychiatrist
did happened within the first five minutes.  She said, "I see you have
diabetes.  How long have you had it?"  I replied, "Thirty-six years," very
matter-of-factly.  She dropped the folder into her lap, looked at me with the
most incredulous look, and repeated very slowly, as if she had not heard me
correctly, "Thirty-six years?"  I nodded, wondering what the big deal was.
What she made me realize was that having lived with such an exacting disease
for so long I had become so much of a perfectionist that I seldom gave myself
credit for all that I was doing right. (She also couldn't believe that I was
still working full-time, teaching in a first-grade classroom no less, and
that my teenage daughter had had diabetes since age 2 and was doing great.)
To make a long story longer, it was the combination of support,
antidepressants, and beginning to give myself the credit I was due that
helped me get out and stay out of my dark hole.
    I'm new to IP --  enjoying all the support offered here already.  Thanks