Re: [IP] low potassium levels

Greetings-

In regards to your comments about thinking it has been said here that low potassium levels accompany high blood glucose levels, that wasn't really the point.  Frequent urination often accompanies high BG levels and urination is one way the body depletes itself of potassium.  Vomiting and diarrhea will deplete the body of potassium too.

The medical profession measures potassium levels in the blood.  If your doctor tells you your potassium levels are low, you run the risk of heart 'problems', as smooth muscle function in the heart is 'aided' by adequate potassium levels. (And calcium too - but that's another story!)  Your body works hard to assure that your blood levels of potassium (and other minerals) are optimum for that very reason - even if it has to 'steal' it from other parts of your body (like your leg muscles).

I am certainly no expert on the matter, and had never even thought about my ER potassium levels were when I was 'partying with the parimedics'.  Obviously there's a lot more to 'potassium levels' than just heart function and leg cramps.

Bottom line is - if you're having leg cramps increasing the potassium in your DIET might help.  That's safe and not that hard to do.

Anyone else know anything about low BG and low potassium?

Dianne