Re: [IP] Gore

email @ redacted wrote:
> OK, not to start so epolitical debate, cuz I personally think politicking is
> a waste of energy, time, money and media space...BUT
> someone posted a number to call this Lauren Choi person who works for Gore
> and when asked by M Mawby of ADA, did not want to comment on Gore's
> commitment to diabetes...apparently she
> >had not received a single phone call about diabetes.
> > We need to change that and persuade Gore to be a leader on
> > this issue.  Here's how you can help and even win a prize:
> So, inspired, and at work, I called her and boy, could she have been LESS
> interested...Kept trying to cut me off and end the call...kinda chuckled at
> the end.  I felt I was articulate, and expressed my concern for his taking a
> proactive stance...and that to garner my vote, I needed to hear more than
> philosophy and lip-service.
> Pardon the English, but screw her and screw Gore!  If this is how they show
> their commitment and interest in the needs and wants of this particular
> minority group (diabetics), then feel about diabetes, then how are the gonna
> feel about "real" important issues, like should we charge rich people less
> tax and give them more loopholes than poor people or what about the pesky
> insurance problem..
> I have yet to hear of a  politician who is really "OUT" about diabetes!!!
> Why CAN'T they make a "commitment?"  Is it because they are all men and men
> are virtually incapable of doing that?  Perhaps that is why they are so
> scared of having women in power - because we can and do make commitments...
> Politicians aren't going to really DO anything anyway about a cure for
> diabetes...not when the Band-Aids they have work so well.. I do not want some
> LIP-SERVICE - oh yeah, we hear lots of "I SUPPORT diabetes research" during
> the campaign,  blah blah blah...What else are they expected to say...wouldn't
> it be great if they had that problem Jim Carrey did in LIAR LIAR and they
> just csme out and SAID "diabetes is a stupid disease and I am not going to
> support it?"  Then at least we'd know who NOT to vote for!!!
> Why can't we have Nicole Johnson run for office.  Let's do her as a write in
> candidate...Hey, there are 1,500 of us here...and "most" of us have
> significant others or kids old enough to vote, so htat is another, at least
> 2,000.  Surely 3,500 people is enough in this nation of unregistered,
> lethargic citizens to get her elected!!!  I'd switch to whatever party she
> ran as...I'd even vote!!!  Hell, I'd even work on her campaign.
> >Aren't you glad to be a part of the team leading the fight to cure
> >diabetes?  Make that call today!  Many thanks for your continued
> >support.
> I feel stupid after making this call...he better come up with something, and
> someone,  better than this Lauren person if he expects my vote.
> politics is STUPID!  so where is my prize???
> Sara
I hope that you will rethink your position stated above.  Participating
in the political process is not only a right, but more so an obligation
in a democracy. If you don't participate, you deserve what you get.  The
collective 'WE' have too long not participated fully, and that is why
our sustem is in less than good shape. Joe La Mountain (the guy who
posted the information about Gores' internet Town Hall and subsequently
MS. Choi) was right in saying that our forceful input IS the way to get
results in our specific issue.  It will certainly take a lot longer, and
a lot more interest on the part of the populace in general, to 'reform'
the whole system but that is our obligation for our children, and their
children.  We need to raise our voices for our issue, but also vote in
an informed manner in support of the common good.
Thanks for listening,
Gary Taylor