[IP] gold medic alerts

sam wrote:

> I've never understood this recommendation against gold and silver....
> That made me think that there was a special reason why
> diabetics, in particular, shouldn't wear gold or silver.
> I've had the gold MedicAlert bracelet for about 5 years with no
> adverse effects that I can see.

well this particular diabetic beats the hell out of gold!  I got a gorgeous
14 k gold bracelet from my dad when i was 16 or so...He had a jeweler make it
for me...it had a caduescus (sp) on the top, and my name, Diabetic, doctor
name etc.  First time I worse it, I scratched it to pieces...Gold is a very
soft metal I guess, cuz it was soon almost illegible...I didn't wear it much,
and in fact we soon moved and the numbers and doctors were wron anyway... I
never wore anything again until I got the pump, at which point I got this
relatively ugly, but hopefully recognizable bracelet from Medic Alert.  Mine
says DIABETES.  INSULIN DEPENDENT.  WEARS INSULIN PUMP. Now I never take it
off...except for my sister's wedding, and I htink they took it off me while I
was unconscious for my vitrectomy.  I had them tape it to my arm before I
went into surgery for my appendix...didn't want to risk them taking it off
and then going - duuuuhhhhhh...what is this beeper attached to her
for.....after I had already talked the anesthesia guy into letting me keep it!

personally, I think we should re-consider the forehead DEFECTIVE tattoo we
discussed several months ago...

Sara

Sam