Re: [IP] plugging the pump

    Melissa had a kidney biopsy done ( under anaesthesia) in November of
1997. The children's hospital where it was done had NO ONE on a pump, but her
doctor, chief of nephrology, had just come from Stanford & was very
progressive & cool about things- so she was fine with allowing us to monitor
her all day. Aside from a slight rise from the stress of taking forever to
check-in that morning, her bgs stayed in the mid-100s range all day, even
pre& post surgery....
    The good news is that the head of endocrinology apparently heard all
about Melissa & called our pump trainer to ask her to come in & do an
"in-service" session, after having stonewalled the same woman
previously......The bad news is that almost 2 years later, I sthink they
STILL don't have anyone on a pump & rumor has it that they may not even be
teaching carb-counting!!!...Granted this hospital draws from a relatively
poor economic patient base, but that doesn't exempt them from at least
trying!....I know I'm often unrealistic though, because when Melissa was
first dx'd & spent 6 days in the prime "other" children's hospital, there
were so many kids with newly diagnosed diabetes whose families barely showed
up. I asked one of the nurses how they could bear to discharge these kids,
knowing that their families didn't have "a clue" & she just sighed & said "
well, we do so knowing fully well that we'll be seeing that child again &
again for re-admissions to "correct" the effects of noncompliance.....Made me
better appreciate why the woman who did a follow-up phone survey years later
was soooooo incredulous when I said Melissa hadn't needed to be
readmitted.....The sad reality is that the people on this list & elsewhere
who are proactive, committed, empowered & informed probably represent ONLY
about 10% of the diabetic community...THAT'S the reality that faces the
medical community & accounts for a lot of the frustration WE who are NOT like
that encounter from doctors......I shudder to think that as bad as that
situation appeared nearly 7 years ago, it's significantly WORSE as in-patient
hospitalization dwindles down to one or 2 days from the 6 we experienced (
and which DEFINITELY didn't make me feel like I was ready to "play

Regards, Renee ( pump-mom/coach/advocate to 16 yr old Melissa)