Re: [IP] Medic-alert bracelets - Gold?

Sam Skopp wrote:
> At 07:50 AM 08/12/1999  David Winegarden wrote:
>  >In a message dated 8/12/1999 8:01:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>  >email @ redacted writes:
>  ><< I chose a gold bracelet.
>  >... it needs to be durable.
>  >I believe they have a sale on the  gold bracelets now. >>
>  >Twenty years ago when I got my (first) MedicAlert bracelet,
>  >it was recommended that diabetics "not use silver or gold",
>  >but should use the "plain" stainless-steel emblem.
> I've never understood this recommendation. Anyone who has a condition
> serious enough to warrant using a MedicAlert bracelet, would have the same
> need to make sure that it wasn't stolen and was always easily readable by
> medical staff. But their recommendation against gold and silver was just
> for diabetics. That made me think that there was a special reason why
> diabetics, in particular, shouldn't wear gold or silver. That always
> sounded strange to me, since no medical people have ever warned me against
> wearing gold or silver.

The point of this recommendation was that most diabetics used to be
very acidic from high bg levels at various times, if not all the time.
This has remained in their literature for those who don't keep in tight
control. High acidity doesn't affect stainless steel, but may corrode
other metals such as silver and gold.

Ted Quick