Re: [IP] Medic-alert bracelets - Gold?

At 07:50 AM 08/12/1999  David Winegarden wrote:
 >In a message dated 8/12/1999 8:01:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
 >email @ redacted writes:
 ><< I chose a gold bracelet.
 >... it needs to be durable.
 >I believe they have a sale on the  gold bracelets now. >>
 >Twenty years ago when I got my (first) MedicAlert bracelet,
 >it was recommended that diabetics "not use silver or gold",
 >but should use the "plain" stainless-steel emblem.

I've never understood this recommendation. Anyone who has a condition
serious enough to warrant using a MedicAlert bracelet, would have the same
need to make sure that it wasn't stolen and was always easily readable by
medical staff. But their recommendation against gold and silver was just
for diabetics. That made me think that there was a special reason why
diabetics, in particular, shouldn't wear gold or silver. That always
sounded strange to me, since no medical people have ever warned me against
wearing gold or silver.

I've had the gold MedicAlert bracelet for about 5 years with no adverse
effects that I can see. Does anyone have any technical information on this?