Re: [IP] Medic-alert bracelets - Gold?

In a message dated 8/12/1999 8:01:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:
<< I chose a gold bracelet.
... it needs to be durable.
I believe they have a sale on the  gold bracelets now. >>
Twenty years ago when I got my (first) MedicAlert bracelet,
it was recommended that diabetics "not use silver or gold",
but should use the "plain" stainless-steel emblem.
That recommendation appears to have disappeared, but its
unsaid foundation I believe applies still:
To ASSURE it can do its job, "speak for me when I cannot",
it MUST be ON me when "THEY" find me unconscious.
Being UN-attractive to thievery is essential to still being
visible when police/fire/medical people might get to me.
Similarly, to be obvious, the bracelet is RIGHT, the pendant
styles to hang from neck are widely-recognized as less-likely
to be seen or even noticed and found by the "desirable" finders.
I am not sure, (MedicAlert could tell you I suppose) but I
believe the stainless-steel is a "no-nickel" alloy, thus
avoiding most allergy complaints some have against other
stainless-steel items (including some of our infusion sets).
Fifteen years ago I replaced it, expanding the inscription
"diabetes" (all inscriptions are done capital letters, but
I am not emphasizing them here) with a second line
"insulin dependent".
Now us insulin-pump users might even consider
(in discussion with the physician we each name to be "on-call")
whether to inscribe
"insulin pump" or "by external pump" or similar,
and more importantly, include your pump manufacturer's
hotline number in your reference-data onfile.
Must assure that our attendants know they need to
assure continuing insulin coverage to our bodies,
NOT TAKE OFF/OUT the PUMP and infusion set.

both email @ redacted and
Joanne Spotten <email @ redacted> have supplied
<< Website address for MedicAlert is:
Sure there are "other vendors" of emergency-medical
identification systems, but "MedicAlert® Foundation"
is the ONE model and pattern of "how it is done",
anything else is incomplete, with the possible exception
of the device our military member wears and the service
he gives and gets with that "dogtag". William?

David C. Winegarden
Fremont, CA