Re: [IP] Re: Optimism re diabetes

email @ redacted writes:

<< I agree that a realistic attitude is necessary or else you will be torn
 apart (even more) if something bad happens.  But right now just try the best
 you can!! You can't do any better than that. >>

Gianna, I think you have a wonderful attitude.  Stay with it.  You mentioned
that you had been depressed and wanted to die.  I don't know how old you are,
but when I was in my late teens and early twenties (about 30 years ago), I
was one wild woman.  I was never afraid of death or consciously depressed
about IDD, but I engaged in a lot of very risky behavior.  I was jumping off
cliffs and hitchhiking around the world.  I was not afraid of anything and I
did not want to think about IDD (BTW, I was in the desert for 6 months
without shelter and my insulin never went bad).
When I finally "woke up" that I needed to address my health, I had survived
some near death experiences and was ready to settle down.  I have had IDD for
nearly 40 years with few complications.  I attribute much of my success to
luck.  I do believe like you that tight control is important to prevent
secondary complications and I also feel that many that have not had IDD for
more than 10 years will have fewer problems with complications because of the
better technology available today.
I think Lori's comments were right on target.  The fact that secondary
complications will occur despite our best efforts inspires me to fight for
the Cure.  I hope that you too will be inspired rather than depressed about
the future.  Since going on the pump, I have learned what feeling good really
means.  I did not know I felt bad before, but I have never felt this good in
my life.  Improved management is a wonderful thing, BUT management is not
enough for me now.  I want a Cure.  I am very optimistic that a Cure can be
found in my lifetime.  I just don't want many with IDD to become complacent
because of improved technology.  I think we should all be demanding increased
funding for research.  This keeps me very optimistic about the future.  If
complications do happen, I am going to be thankful that I have had some
impact in obtaining that Cure.  ellen