[IP] optimism

Okay, I'm one of those long term guys (35+ years) who never tested, ate (and
drank) whatever I wanted, took one shot a day for many years (then went to
2, but never used a sliding scale), never exercised until I was 40 (and
things started to sag!) and have never experienced serious complications
(eyes, heart, kidneys, nerve damage, etc).   (Knock on wood, turn around
twice, kiss a fool, and whatever other superstition remedies you can think
of.)  Some of us have been "congenitally protected," my ophthalmologist
likes to tell me.  Now, I would be fascinated by a genetic study that looks
to discover what this "super gene" is all about.  I went on the pump in 3/99
because I well-remembered the fact provided when I developed diabetes that
"diabetes cuts life expectancy by 1/3."  Now, being an English lit major I
am mathematically challenged, but even I figured that with 75 years minus
one-third of that you get 50.  I will turn 50 next March.  At 13, that
seemed an awful long time away and, god, who would ever want to be that old?
Now, it's right around the corner and I haven't finished saying "When I grow
up I want to be...."  Hey, I'm even saving for retirement - something I
thought I would never see.
I would never advise a person with diabetes to live the way I did for 34
years, but I think every parent of a newly diagnosed child should be
informed that the scenario is not necessarily all doom and gloom.  Those of
us without complications may be in the minority, but I feel it's like the
lottery:  I have a chance at winning, so I might as well buy the ticket
Vicki McDonald