Re: [IP] Re: Optimism re diabetes

email @ redacted wrote:
> Wow, this is a good thread!    Especially the comments from all the old
> timers.  Gail and Gary are both inspirational, each for their own
> situations.  Optimism is the way to go, no matter what.
>         One thing that I wonder about is if there is any relation between
> complications and exercise.   I mean serious exercise or physical work.  It
> seems that lots of comments from the old timers who have few complications
> suggest a fairly regular steady diet of strenuous physical activity.
> Especially during the dark ages with just urine testing and one shot a day.
> I know there'll likely be some exceptions, with athletes (like Bill Talbot)
> getting wrecked, but I wonder what others think about this?  Any long term
> sloths out there with few complications?
> -wayne
> <<<<<<I had no
> complications for thirty years, which is pretty good for the growing up  in
> a time when very little was known about diabetes. Never heard of carbs, or
> glucose monitoring. Only urine test and blood test in the Dr's office.
> I hope this does not sound bitter, because I am not. I have and continue to
> live a life I have enjoyed very much. Through my disabilities I have met
> some very special people and learned totally new things I can do. But
> everyone is different.
> Gail>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> <<<<<<<<I was diagnosed at age 11---in 1950!!!  I will be 61 years old
> 8/23, and
> I've been told I look 45 (which is old for you I know, but for me is
> great!!).  I have always taken care of myself, but I do not try to be
> perfect.  Was on MDI for 45 years, and have been pumping with a
> disetronic for 4 & 1/2 years.  I love the pump, and think disetronic is
> the best technically.  I have always worked my body hard, on the farm
> when young, then in the gym after college, while in an "office"
> setting.  I retired early ( 9 years ago) but continue to work hard (my
> exercise this morning starting at 5 AM included two sets of 45 pushups
> each and 18 minutes on the stairmaster along with stretches etc).
> However, my mantra is that I only do what everyone must do to maintain
> his/her health, nothing extra really.  One must maintain a positive
> attitude, and realize that bad things happen even under the best of
> circumstances.  Work at it (life), keep a positive attitude, do
> something good for someone else every day, and live a long and
> productive life!
> Gary Taylor>>>>>>>>>>>>
 In answer to Wayne, I always maintained that strenuous exercise
creating low bg's offset the highs.  Several of my Docs accused me of
'trying to run half empty'.  Since I was able to do this with very few
serious hypo glycemic incidents, I continued to do it in spite of the
Docs recommendations.  When BG meters came out I found that I was in
fact running a lot of 40 to 80 readings.  A posting here recently talked
about the Scrubbing effect of low blood sugar levels see
www.landfield.com/faqs/diabetes/faq/part2/section-9.html (If I remember
correctly).  This process is still not confirmed or recommended by the
researchers!  But I feel sort of vindicated.
Another thing I personally believe has helped me is taking vitamin
supplements such as 'c', 'e','d','b', as well as a multi vitamin.  My
health care teams have become less and less anti "vitamin supplement" as
the years have progressed, so go figure.  Before you act talk with your
Endo and see what they say.
Gary Taylor