From: Carrie Wade [mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 1999 9:56 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] I need advice on what to do!

Hi all,
I am very upset tonight and need for ya'll to offer your expertise....I
found out this afternoon that my MiniMed 507C will be arriving this very
Friday!!!  In the midst of my excitement on the phone with my mother, she
mentioned that she would call our hospital there in my hometown (where my
endo is) and set up my training.  I am a college student that lives 3 hours
from home.  It's hard enough to get away to see my family, much less go for
a day of training, so I asked her to explain my rushed situation to the
diabetes clinic there in order to speed things up.  They informed her that
I'd need to do a month of carb counting before they'd even consider me, and
the soonest they could work me in would be TOO FAR AWAY AND DURING SCHOOL!!!
I have been on this mailing list with ya'll for about a month.  I've read
Pumping Insulin.  I've got a carb counting book and have enough common sense
to be able to do that s**t.  I can't tell you how furious I am.  The bad
thing here is that I can have my records trasferred to Jackson, where I'm in
school and get a new endo.  But that is the last thing I want to do!  I love
my dr. and have never found anyone that understands me and listens to me
like her.  She really has nothing to do with the training, yet I have to
have it done there in order to stay with her???  I know, it sounds strange.
My question here is this:  I'm calling my doc in the morning.  Do I give her
my records of blood sugars and whatnot so she can set basals and then
attempt to set out on my own?  Do I beg her to help me get worked in earlier
and if she won't, change docs?  What do I do?  Can I do this on my own?
Advice please -- I look to ya'll to be my saving grace...
Thanks for listening,