Re: [IP] Humalog Allergy?

> Who can tell me how the response time differs between Humalog and
> Velosulin.
Velosulin is simply buffered regular insulin made by Novo Nordisk.
Since you live near Palo Alto, the Longs downtown on University
carries it if you need a bottle pronto.

> I understand Velosulin is what is used by those who
> become allergic to Humalog.  How much would using Velosulin in her
> pump upset her control if we have been using Humalog?
The control remains about the same. My daughter used it for a couple
of years prior to the introduction of Humalog. The timing of the peak
is quite different. All the current basal change times must be set 2
hour EARLIER because the V peak is at about 4 hours while the H peak
is at 2 hours. Your child will have to bolus for meals 30 - 45
minutes prior to eating. She will lose the spontaniety the Humalog
allows her.

A bright note!  Novo has just introduced their own version of lispro
which "may" be formulated in a manner that does not include whatever
your child is allergic to. The new insulin is not yet available in
the US, but should be soon.

Michael