RE: [IP] Re beaches, swimming, heat and the pump

>From Susan who wrote:  I, too, worried about all the beach/bathing suit
issues recently raised.
After two months, and after many great days at our cottage and one Lake
Huron beaches, I can say a few things:

Thanks for the information.  I will need a vacation after working to get
these basals at the correct level.  Today makes one week on the pump.  I am
being impatient as usual.  Hopefully by month's end things will be better.
Looking forward to not having to eat earlier than everyone else, dictate
lunchtime etc.  Appreciate your help.

Susan S.
Charlotte, NC

-----Original Message-----
From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf
Of ager
Sent: August 10, 1999 11:33 AM
To: Insulin Pumpers
Subject: [IP] Re beaches, swimming, heat and the pump

I, too, worried about all the beach/bathing suit issues recently raised.
After two months, and after many great days at our cottage and one Lake
Huron beaches, I can say a few things:

# I just clip the pump to the side seam of my one-piece suit. Done. No
problem. So people notice. So what.

# When I want to swim, I watch for my basal to click (I have a MM), then
know I have 20 minutes before my next basal click. So I disconnect (I used
to try to be discreet, but now must lift the bottom edge of my suit and
disconnect, not caring who sees what). Then I swim. Then I come back and
reconnect. If I stay in too long, and see that I missed my .1 dose, I bolus
.1

# I've spent about 6 hours straight in heat and sun on a beach and seen no
change in insulin effect on me. Everything I've read here and elsewhere says
you don't need to worry about sun and heat affecting Humlag on a short-term
basis. I do, however, tuck my tubing inside my suit so it doesn't dangle!

# I've swum, too, in all sorts of lakes where, let's say, ducks and fish
poop, and had not a single problem with my site. I also have no problems
with Sil tape sticking securely.

So.......all my frets and fears about swimming were for naught, and I
suspect yours will be, too!

Susan