Re: [IP] Re: Optimism re diabetes

Wow, this is a good thread!    Especially the comments from all the old
timers.  Gail and Gary are both inspirational, each for their own
situations.  Optimism is the way to go, no matter what.
	One thing that I wonder about is if there is any relation between
complications and exercise.   I mean serious exercise or physical work.  It
seems that lots of comments from the old timers who have few complications
suggest a fairly regular steady diet of strenuous physical activity.
Especially during the dark ages with just urine testing and one shot a day.
I know there'll likely be some exceptions, with athletes (like Bill Talbot)
getting wrecked, but I wonder what others think about this?  Any long term
sloths out there with few complications?

<<<<<<I had no
complications for thirty years, which is pretty good for the growing up  in
a time when very little was known about diabetes. Never heard of carbs, or
glucose monitoring. Only urine test and blood test in the Dr's office.
I hope this does not sound bitter, because I am not. I have and continue to
live a life I have enjoyed very much. Through my disabilities I have met
some very special people and learned totally new things I can do. But
everyone is different.

<<<<<<<<I was diagnosed at age 11---in 1950!!!  I will be 61 years old
8/23, and
I've been told I look 45 (which is old for you I know, but for me is
great!!).  I have always taken care of myself, but I do not try to be
perfect.  Was on MDI for 45 years, and have been pumping with a
disetronic for 4 & 1/2 years.  I love the pump, and think disetronic is
the best technically.  I have always worked my body hard, on the farm
when young, then in the gym after college, while in an "office"
setting.  I retired early ( 9 years ago) but continue to work hard (my
exercise this morning starting at 5 AM included two sets of 45 pushups
each and 18 minutes on the stairmaster along with stretches etc).
However, my mantra is that I only do what everyone must do to maintain
his/her health, nothing extra really.  One must maintain a positive
attitude, and realize that bad things happen even under the best of
circumstances.  Work at it (life), keep a positive attitude, do
something good for someone else every day, and live a long and
productive life!
Gary Taylor>>>>>>>>>>>>