Re: [IP] Re: Optimism re diabetes

I agree, to a point with everything you stated. But I would like to add,
just for me. I have had diabetes for 43 years, since I was five yrs old. I
have been on a pump for 18 yrs. I have had wonderful control SINCE on the
pump. I do complications from my diabetes. I am legally blind and have
neuropathy. I also am severely hearing impaired and have obstructive
pulmonary disease, none of these are diabetes related. I also have never
smoked in my life or worked in chemicals.
I guess what I am trying to say, is yes with todays technology you can curb
or prolong the onset of complications. But many of us lived with diabetes
before the onset of all this technology, the dark ages. I had no
complications for thirty years, which is pretty good for the growing up  in
a time when very little was known about diabetes. Never heard of carbs, or
glucose monitoring. Only urine test and blood test in the Dr's office.
I hope this does not sound bitter, because I am not. I have and continue to
live a life I have enjoyed very much. Through my disabilities I have met
some very special people and learned totally new things I can do. But
everyone is different.