[IP] Re: Optimism

     I have been reading these posts, and have tried to remember how I felt
     when I was diagnosed more than 20 years ago. I was 10. I remember
     being embarrassed, I remember a kid taunting me with a Ding Dong at
     lunch once. I remember heading into my teen years as a geeky girl with
     braces and pimples and it being very hard. I never tested my urine, I
     took my shots, and my dr. always told me I was doing great, but he
     never really kicked me in the butt to do anything about it. Then I
     went to college, away from everybody I had ever known and picked my
     own dr. I knew I needed someone who would make me do what I had to do
     or I'd never do what i was told. I found one, and I think being put in
     charge of myself helped me alot. I've always been a positive person,
     but diabetes was the ONLY part of my life that I felt down about. It
     still gets me down in little, insidious ways. I could write forever
     here about all those ways, but I guess overall I tell myself, and
     anyone who asks or tries to tell me how much I'd better take care of
     myself that I try as hard as I can, but I am human, and am not
     perfect. Some days are great, some aren't. There are days when I can't
     LOOK at a lancet because it reminds me. But diabetes isn't who I AM. I
     am a mom, a wife, a friend. I HAVE diabetes, but I try hard not to let
     it have me, in all those silly ways it can. I don't know-you're either
     born with a positive spin or you're not and you have to work really
     hard to get that spin. The fact that we are here on this list is a
     very positive thing, that we care deeply about ourselves, or our loved
     ones. We are taking steps in the right direction here. I, for one,
     have felt more positive since joining, and have felt less burdened. I
     hope the rest of you guys feel that way too. I feel I should ask for
     an "AMEN!" from the congregation now. Just kidding,