From: Gary R Taylor [mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 1999 9:55 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Optimism re diabetes

email @ redacted wrote:

> Lori, I'm sorry that you have had complications, considering that you took
> care of yourself. However, I found your message a little harsh....At 19
yrs.
> old, I already get a tad depressed about my future with diabetes, and if I
> was constantly told that I would probably have my foot amputated or go
blind
> by the time I was 30, I think I would end up in a mental ward.  My sanity
and
> peace with my disease comes from knowing that there is hope...that I can
> possibly CURB the complications if I take care of myself.  If I didn't
remind
> myself of that, I doubt that I would be too motivated to take care of
myself.
>  Teenagers already have a hard enough time dealing with diabetes and
trying
> to feel "normal" and fit in.... we don't need to increase their anxiety by
> being negative.  It's a shame that people told you "if only you would have
> taken care of yourself."  That's not fair, and I wish you the best of
luck.
> Sincerely, Jasmine, dx 10 yrs. old, about to start pumping when I see my
Dr.
> Wednesday  :)
Jasmine,
I was diagnosed at age 11---in 1950!!!  I will be 61 years old 8/23, and
I've been told I look 45 (which is old for you I know, but for me is
great!!).  I have always taken care of myself, but I do not try to be
perfect.  Was on MDI for 45 years, and have been pumping with a
disetronic for 4 & 1/2 years.  I love the pump, and think disetronic is
the best technically.  I have always worked my body hard, on the farm
when young, then in the gym after college, while in an "office"
setting.  I retired early ( 9 years ago) but continue to work hard (my
exercise this morning starting at 5 AM included two sets of 45 pushups
each and 18 minutes on the stairmaster along with stretches etc).
However, my mantra is that I only do what everyone must do to maintain
his/her health, nothing extra really.  One must maintain a positive
attitude, and realize that bad things happen even under the best of
circumstances.  Look at the Kennedy loss.  He had a great life, a great
future, the best of equipment, and yet perished at a young age.  Stuff
happens, thats life.  Work at it (life), keep a positive attitude, do
something good for someone else every day, and live a long and
productive life!
Gary Taylor