RE: [IP] Going to the Beach

Hi Tamera,

I am facing the same dilemma.  Just started on the pump last Monday and have
a beach trip scheduled for the last week of this month.  We went out
shopping last night for suits and shorts with pockets to wear over suit.  I
looked for one piece suits with open back so I could reach infusion site to
disconnect without removing the suit.  Found the Speedo type suits for
swimmers worked the best for me, but haven't taken them for a trial run yet.
Still in the process of adjusting wardrobe to accomodate pump.  As for
swimming, I will definitely swim.  I have been trying to decide where to
place the insertion site so it does not interfer with my boogie boarding
attempts!  Don't think anything can get into the cannula and will probably
just clean with alcohol prior to reconnecting.  I am taking along quite a
few extra infusion sets just in case.

I worry about the insulin going bad while sitting on the beach.  Not so much
the insulin in the syringe but in the tubing.  How do you plan to handle
that?  The options are covering or placing in something out of direct
sunlight or disconnecting and bolusing every hour to make up for missed
basals.  That's what my CDE says but would like to hear from those wearing
pump.

Fellow Charlotte, NC pumper
Who is your endo in town?  Feel free to contact me privately at
email @ redacted  Maybe we could compare notes.

Susan S.