Re: [IP] leg cramps and supplements

Greetings-
Perhaps you didn't see my earlier post on potassium checks.  Doctors check the level of potassium in your blood, which is the last place your body takes the potassium from.  Without plenty of potassium in your blood you risk heart failure, as this mineral is crucial to muscle contraction.  Where does your body get the potassium it needs in order to assure smooth heart contractions?  Well if there's not enough in your diet, it will take it from your muscles.

I may have assumed incorrectly that most diabetics on this list eat their vegies and fruits - the source of nearly all the potassium we take in - and as you know, frequent urination, or vomiting for that matter, can deplete the body of sufficient potassium to prevent you from getting leg cramps.

What I'm trying to get across is that even a diet that is high in potassium - as it is with this vegetarian- high BG may delete the potassium in your leg muscles.
And while banans are a fair source of potassium, they have been vastly overated as "thee" ultimate source of potassium.  A cup of lima beans, for example, has nearly 4x the amountof potassium as a banana, a baked potato has 2x as much, etc. BUT I'd rather have a banana on my breakfast cereal, and diet is certainly the first place to start as YMMV.

Dianne
The Fat Nutritionist