[IP] Insurance, colors, polyskins, family pumping

Russ-  I stayed on the insurance companies while getting my son his
insulin pump... the primary carrier approved it 1 day after the
information was faxed to them.  I got a letter in the mail 2 days later
as proof that they had approved funding.  Our secondary carrier took
longer... 8 business days.  I made daily calls to the latter group and
insisted on talking to the same person after day 3 of the same
response... "We sent the information to our home office for review."
This became the standard response from them.  I guess I'm stupid when it
comes to insurance claim approval and why one can do it right then and
the other takes so long.  The company couldn't answer me on that

For those who have trouble with dressings coming loose with sweating
etc... you might try something called tincture of benzoin.  Paint a
little over the area that the dressing or polyskin/opsite will cover.
Put your site in or opsite on while it's a little sticky.  That might
help.  We also cut them in half to make them 1"x2" and lay it over the
end of the silhouette so that you can still disconnect, but it covers
across the front end.  Helps keep my active son from dislodging his site
when changing clothes and other activities.

An added note on pump colors...  I demand so much from my 7yr old in
keeping him controlled and eating healthy etc.  When he watched the
minimed video and said he wanted a blue one... that's what he got.  He
doesn't complain about all the other stuff, so this seemed like such a
simple thing to make him happy!

I put him on his pump 4 days before we met with the doctor, using saline
in the syringe and high basal rates so he'd get used to the clicks and
being attached to it.  By the end of that time we had already addressed
several other issues... "The clicking will keep me awake, so I put my
pump to sleep (suspended it)".... No Matthew, it won't and you have to
keep it running, even when you are asleep.  "Mommy, I didn't know what to
do with it when I changed my clothes for bed, so I put it to sleep,
disconnected it and left it in the kitchen until I was done.  But it's
back awake now."   Well, how was that for quick thinking... he's since
just put it on the bed.  He has done wonderfully with it and knows which
screens he can and cannot program without an adult watching.  He also has
put the workings of the pump into more useful terms for himself... like
saying he's putting it to sleep and waking it up, or telling me that
his/my pump is "crying" (alarming).  I'm really thrilled that he has
taken to it so well!  Of course, this comes after him patiently waiting
since January to be a pumper.  At that time his comment was... "Mommy,
when can I have one of those things on my pants like you do?"  He knows I
wear my pump on my waistband most of the time and he decided he wanted
one too.  It has been a great move for us and I'm looking forward to his
next A1c being alot lower than the last one!

I've been a pump user for almost 10yrs, and IDM for 34.   I went thru my
first pregnancy without it and should have owed stock in glucagon for all
that I was given!  Life got much better when my daughter was 5wks old and
my pump arrived.  She even spent the day with me at the doctor's office
getting it started!  My second pregnancy with the pump was much
smoother... only 1 shot of glucagon while I was at work one day.  It made
a big difference!  I guess I'd be buying black market supplies if they
were not available any other way.  Thoughts of being without my pump are
earth-shattering.  It is always there, but never in the way.

I have tried a couple times to respond to Christina who is a nurse and
planning on pump therapy.  My email gets returned... please contact me
directly.  I am a critical care nurse too!

Gosh, my first post to the group has gotten long-winded.  I really enjoy
this digest, and am learning too!
Tracy in Nashville, TN