Re: [IP] Re: A1c tests

Michael wrote:
> You probably know better than most. My comment was from general
> knowledge sort of "picked up" from reading many studies etc.... I
> don't actually recall the exact words. The impression I got was that
> it was a one way process, but nothing was really said in the article
> about whether or not it was reversible. Since the life of a red blood
> cell is only about 90 - 120 days, the point is not interesting for
> them. It is much more interesting for other tissues in the body which
> live much, much longer and suffer more serious consequences from the
> attachment of the unwanted molecule (i.e. nerves, small muscle cells,
> organ tissue, etc...).
> If someone has a definitive answer or can cite a particular source
> document, the info would be appreciated.

As I understand it from messages elsewhere there is an idea circulating
that A1c's don't really reflect our bg over the entire lifetime of the
cells. Some researchers (don't know who) found that the glycosylation
breaks down slowly over a period of a week or so, resulting in a different
A1c than would be expected from home blood testing. This is controversial
and still being denied by many doctors, but such is life with medical

Ted Quick