Re: [IP] I just have to brag!

amy m wrote:

> hey all--
>  call me a hormonal teen, but I'm glad I have my pump! this last week
> has been rough, I worked out the night basals but nothing's helped yet,
> I stayed low all night last night, (i swear, my mom really hates my
> pump), then went high and had some ketones..nice bday present! Yeah,
> I'm 16 today and can drive without my parents in the car, was out all
> morning of course they are trying to control it like crazy, but hey!
> And at least with the pump I don't have to worry quite so much about
> lows with driving, although I'm not comfortable quite yet. And when I
> go out to dinner later and when I eat birthday cake, I'm not limiting
> myself to that tiny piece with no frosting, I'm going to eat what feels
> NATURAL for the first time in my past ten birthdays! My control this
> week basically sucks, but there's too much otherstuff going on, so...
>  I LOVE MY PUMP (and my freedom to drive!!!!!~)
>  Amy
Amy,
I have been a diabetic for 49 years--diagnosed at age 11, so I have come
through the 'dark ages' of few testing options, a lot of medical
community changes regarding treatment, etc.  I have always approached my
treatment regemine with moderation. I always ate a little bit of cake a
few cookies on occasion, but always 'worked into' my overall diet.  That
policy has served me well because I have NO complications at all...  The
so called 'natural diet/natural eating of the 'normal american' today is
to eat way too much food of all types.  Portion size in restaurants has
almost doubled over the past 15 years.  I'll bet this is one of the
major causes of the radical increase in Type II diabetes.  Please dont
let the 'pump freedom' lead you astray too far from a reasonavle
moderate diet.
Regarding drivind, we have an obligation to the rest of the driving
public to test frequently while driving.  A non-invasive meeter such as
the Gluco watch will help solve this problem.  Till then try to test
before you drive.
Been there, done that,
Gary Taylor