[IP] insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #353

Message text written by INTERNET:email @ redacted
>Did anyone hear of the study
that was released last weekend saying that diabetics don't handle the heat

As an avid golfer who walks the course (5-7 miles by the time I crisscross
the fairways several times) I must make a big adjustment for hot days, over
80 degrees.  If it is cooler I do not adjust my basal when I play.  Over 80
I cut my basal in half, beginning a half hour before playing.  After much
observation, I attribute this to the heat.  Why the body needs less insulin
when it is hot I don't know but this clearly is the situation for me.
However, I have noticed this only when I golf,not for short term exercise
or in the course of a normal days activity.  Hope this helps and am
interested in others' observations.