Re: [IP] Optimism re diabetes

In a message dated 8/4/99 3:29:12 AM Central Daylight Time, email @ redacted

<< How do you deal with staying positive
 about the future??
 Also, how has everyone handled educating partners? >>

Jasmine, I am a positive person and have become this way because I have
become a more active participant in educating others about IDD and trying to
raise money for that CURE.  I am very involved in the Walk for Diabetes in my
area.  I have been attempting to get alot of corporate sponsors.  I have
enjoyed meeting these people and obtaining their support.  Since being on the
Pump, I have felt so very good that I have been energized to get this disease
eradicated.  I don't want my grandchildren and great grands to have to deal
with IDD.
I have had IDD for 39 years and I do have some complications, but they have
never prevented me from doing what I want to do.  I hope these complications
will progress slowly because of pump therapy, but I really don't think about
the long term.  I live everyday as though it were my last and find that this
makes me more productive and more caring about others.

I guess you are young and I must confess that when I was young, I took care
of my IDD very poorly.  I am a very independent person and, when I married(23
years ago), I did not need my husband's help concerning IDD.  I didn't
educate him about much.  However, when I became pregnant(21 years ago),
everything changed.  I was passing out right and left and I DID need help.
He had a crash course in IDD caregiving.  I think you are right to educate
your partner before problems happen.  If he loves you, he will gladly do
this.  I would just tell him that there are a few things he needs to know.
Introduce him to things slowly so he is not scared by the responsibility.
Don't expect him to be as interested in IDD as you are.  I don't think that
is common.  I am glad my husband is not overly involved in my care.  He's a
partner,  not an overseer.

Good luck to you and I hope this helps.