Re: [IP] Any suggestions?

leisha wrote:

>     Well, this is my problem. Jason is in cross country, he did quite well
> for his first year last year...     I have just recently learned ..  Coach
> Haak ... <doesn't> not want Jason on the team <this year>. His diabetes just
> made him too nervous,

> Any suggestions on how I should handle this?

1. First and foremost - make sure that Jason is taking responsibility for his
condition - that he does everything he can to avoid having his diabetes be a
"problem" for the coach during workouts and races. (Jason should control his
own bg testing and food intake during the sessions and he should be watchful
for low bg's. It might be helpful, too,  if  some of his team mates keep an eye
open for low bg symptoms in Jason so that if it develops without Jason being
aware of it,  it can be dealt with quickly (hopefully before the coach even
notices a problem)).

2. Let the coach know what safety measures Jason is taking to avoid problems,
and assure the coach that if Jason has difficulties, they can be dealt with
easily and quickly and that Jason will make modifications in his regime to try
to avoid a repeat of the problem.

3. Some examples of successful diabetic athletes couldn't hurt. There have been
million-dollar professional athletes such as Bobby Clark (NHL) and certainly
there are amateur athletes on this list who have run and won marathons and
longer (myself among them)...

It's my feeling that people with diabetes actually have a benefit in sports -
We are used to monitoring our bodies and reacting to warning signs. I think
that we are actually less likely to get in trouble in high-endurance events
than people without this condition. I've certainly been on many bicycle rides
where non-diabetic friends have "bonked" because they didn't have a clue as to
how much food their bodies require to ride all day...