RE: [IP] 504's again

My instructions to my 7yr old is that she is in charge.  NOBODY can stop her
from eating when and where she needs to.  If the principal tries to stop her
from taking glucose to an assembly, she is to say that she must carry it and
if he has a problem he can call her Dad.  If she is in an assembly and needs
to eat and someone tries to stop she can ignore them and there will no
consequences.  She has been given specific authority to stand up to me, her
mom, a policeperson,..anybody that gets in her way concerning diabetes.

These kids have a lot of responsibility and I believe that authority must
accompany responsibility.

One comment on school policies like a zero tolerance policy on weapons and
lancets or drugs and insulin or glucose.  It is irrelevant if there is such
a policy as they must accommodate your child.  That means bending the
application of policy.

Lis said....

 "She's learned not to back down where her diabetes is
concerned."

That is  a good thing to learn.  Maybe it will apply in those tough times of
fatigue in dealing with this constant adversary, diabetes.  We can help
enforce this attitude by not backing down in the face of ignorance and
discrimination in the schools.

Curtis Lomax