Re: [IP] Disetronic Questions

William Bartram wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have had my H-Tron Plus (blue) for one week now. I was a bit depressed at
> the beginning because it kinda reminded me all the time that I was diabetic,
> not that the shots didn't but I think it was just new to me. I feel better
> now and love the control that I have and the freedom--as someone said on the
> list --the freedom not so much of when and what to eat---but to NOT eat.  I
> love it.
> I do have some questions:
> 1.  as you know with Disetronic you get two pumps--with the second pump do
> you put the batteries in it so your ready if you need it?
> 2.  If so do you program your basals in the second pump?
> 3. When do you change your cartridge?  a) when your run completely dry, and
> if so do you carry with you the extra cartridge so you can change it where
> ever you are?  or b) do you just do the change at a convenient time and
> waste a bit of insulin?
> 4. How do you handle high fat or protein meals?  I hear of some doing a temp
> increase in basals for a couple of hours-- But with the Disetronic the only
> increase is for 12 hours---is this correct?
> Well I think that is it for now.  I do want to thank you all for your
> comments---and your humor on this list----you guys are great.
> Bill Bartram
> "You will never possess what you are unwilling to pursue"
> Entrepreneur: email @ redacted
> ICQ # 39704842 AOL IM: Learn67
> Purpose: don't get out of bed without one!!!
To: Bill Bartram
I have used a disetronic for 4 and 1/2 years.  In answer to #1, do not
activate your second pump until you need it.  Remember that the two year
working time ( until you have to send it in for the technological check)
starts when you put the batteries in and continues as long as the
batteries are in.  What some people do is to run one pump for a year,
then switch to the other pump (an deactivate the original pump), then
swithc back to the first pump after the second year, run another year on
the 'first' pump before having to send it in for tech review.  I suggest
that you review the disetronic manuals carefully and decide how you want
to operate.  My suggestion oon #2 is to change whenever it is
convenient.  Insulin is not that expensive.
With the high fat/protein question, I prefer to 'test and bolus again' a
couple of hours after such a meal.  After a time of studying your bodys
reactions to various foods, exercise, emotions, and insulin intake, you
can best decide how you want to handle such situations.  Personally I so
not care for the mini med options of square wave bolus', etc because
like NPH or Lente, it 'locks you in' to a certain course of action.  I
prefer to be in control.  Thats why I switch to the pump in the first
place.  Good luck.
Gary Taylor