Re: [IP] Optimism re diabetes

Dear Jasmine and Gianna,
I have been reading the emails that you two have written and I just wanted
to tell you that I would have given anything to have been openminded towards
getting a pump when I was 17.  Although I am only 21 now and should be
getting my pump in about a week, I can't tell you how excited I am at the
prospect of having such freedom and control.  Your senior year of high
school will be crazy and wonderful.  I'd go back and do mine over in a
heartbeat :).  And I can remember being worried about college as well.  I'd
always had my mom for anything that went wrong, and I wondered if I'd be
able to take care of myself like she had all those years.  However, I want
to tell both of you that your diabetes control will finally be completely up
to you.  You'll still have mom on the phone and YES!  she may definitely
drive you crazy asking about your blood sugars, etc...but it will never be
the same.  For me, that first semester was the hardest.  I was unhappy with
where I'd gone to school.  I was in an unhealthy relationship and I lived
with a chainsmoker who'd promised to never smoke in our room, but instead,
held smoking socials on my bed every night!!  The best part was that my
roomate was obsessed with Cheese Balls and Caramel Corn and before I knew
it, I was packing on the freshman fifteen and always avoiding checking my
blood sugar for fear the machine might shut down because it would be too
high!  Needless to say,  I was in terrible shape come that first Christmas
and was forced to take a step back and reevaluate everything.  It was a real
eye opener and I gradually turned everything around.  Don't waste time like
I did!!!  I guess if I could do it all over, I'd go out and I'd party just
like everyone else, but I'd try to keep in mind that I was not "everybody
else" and *that I could NOT stay out night after night* and that I had to
take care of myself because no one else could do it for me.  I am now
entering my senior year at a different private college (that I absolutely
love!!) and my life is completely different.  Taking care of myself is my
absolute #1 priority.  I still party and I still have nights that I stay out
way too late, but I have wonderful friends and an extremely supportive
roomate that help keep me in line.  I think open communication with new
people that you will meet -- including college professors -- is crucial.  I
have rambled on long enough and should hush!  If you ever have any questions
and would like to email me privately, feel free to....Good luck and God
Have a fabulous SENIOR YEAR!!!