Re: [IP] Optimism re diabetes

email @ redacted wrote:
> Hi, first off, I want to say that I am SOOOO thrilled to read everyone's
> messages regarding diabetes and the pump...I am DEFINITELY going to get on
> the pump when I go to my endo August 11!  Okay, here's what I really want to
> talk about....
> I have had IDD for 10 years (I'm 19 yrs. old), no complications, in good
> control (can't wait to get in *excellent* control with the pump), but I still
> battle with getting depressed about diabetes.  I've never had a doom/gloom
> attitude about my disease, but I guess it is in the last year that I've heard
> more and more negativity regarding the disease.  I actually had one person
> ask me if "my eyes have gone bad YET."  How do you deal with staying positive
> about the future??  I have been reading the "Who should represent diabetes"
> messages, and it is becoming more and more real to me that I STILL face
> complications even if I maintain control.  AHH, how frustrating!  I totally
> think the mind is extremely powerful, though, so I don't want to fill myself
> up with negative vibes!  Any suggestions?
> Also, how has everyone handled educating partners? I really want my boyfriend
> to be extremely knowledgable about the disease, especially since we'll be
> living together soon.  What has been your experiences with partners??
> Thanks in advance!!  Once again, all of you have really motivated me to keep
> working on improving the control of my diabetes!  Sincerely, Jasmine
My statements on this issue apply to ALL humans;  With good lifestyle
management (eating well, exercising consistently, and consulting a good
health care team, etc), a POSITIVE attitude, and a little luck (SOME
good genes), we can all live a long and happy life.  People with
diabetes ( I've had it for 49 years) should remenber that EVERYONE has,
or will have SOMETHING which will radically affect their health
maintenance and/or eventually cause their demise.  I was diagnosed at
age 11, and experienced all the "poor YOU" statements the rest of you
have.  I have also watched several of my high school classmates die (up
to 30 years ago) from cancer, heart disease, etc.  Some others are
living with conditions which make diabetes look like a 'walk in the
park'.  Deal with diabetes aggressively but positively.  Be happy, and
do good for/to someone else.
With regard to partners, understand tht it is very hard for them to
really understand your needs.  Make sure that you teach them ( and your
relatives friends and co-workers) as much as possible about your
condition, but always remember that they will not understand totally.
Good luck
Gary Taylor