[IP] ADA/Diabetes/Schools/Boy Scouts

The thread here is absolutely correct.

Diabetes is covered under ADA. If they (schools/camps/malls, etc) can spend
thousands of dollars to accommodate people who have limited mobility and
access, that the accommodation of a diabetic should be trivial. The earlier
suggestions about 504 plans, education board members and standing your
ground should get you what you need.

In the 60s when I was in elementary school my parents and peds. endo. each
spent several hours getting things ironed out at the two schools I attended.
I worst things that happened were 1) I had a teacher who tried to keep me in
detention for 2 weeks without access to my snacks; 2) one bad hypo in the
cafeteria, where I started to throw fired chicken across the room and a
teacher pinned me down to the floor (said later that he thought I was having
a seizure). Testing was of course very different then, but I was
accommodated The Boy Scouts had all sorts of problems. My troops were high
adventure oriented. During summer camps, I had to go to the first aid
building for my insulin shots (insulin was less stable then and did have to
be refrigerated). The real problems were when I registered to go the BSA's
Philmont Scout Ranch (in New Mexico). The council said that it was too
dangerous for a diabetic scout to go, and would not allow it. They said *no*
other diabetic had ever been to Philmont and the National BSA liability
insurance would not cover me (Funny since you had to sign a wavier, anyway.
Imagine, two boys fall down a mountain, one is "normal" - "Gee that is a
tragedy", the other "abbey normal" - "We told him diabetics should not do
this high adventure hiking."). My parents just kept pushing and I did go on
the trip, and everything was great for 10 days at elevation, hard hiking and
climbing, etc). Do you think that those folks going to climb in South
America are going to be able to get visas? <*8:>!

The bottom line to keep telling these administrators at schools/camps where
ever is: 1) It is the law; 2) It is no big deal 3) There is little or no
additional risk from "normal" humans. Just don't operate heavy machinery
while you are low.

P.S. - I even got some funding for college through a "disability program".