[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]
[Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

[IP] Follow up 504 info

from: the first link on the Kids page of the web site at:


Your School and Your Rights (hyperlink to)

                 Appropriate Accommodations Under Law

                 Any school receiving federal funding must accommodate
                 the special needs of its students in order to assure
                 them a "free, appropriate public education." Such
                 accommodation should be documented in either a
                 Section 504 plan or in an Individualized Education

                 Work with the school in establishing written
                 documentation of accommodation explicitly detailing
                 the specific needs of your child with diabetes. 

                 Your written plan might include allowances for: 

                    1.Eating whenever and wherever necessary. 
                    2.Going to the bathroom or water fountain. 
                    3.Participating fully in all extra-curricular
                    activities, including sports
                      and field trips. 
                    4.Eating lunch at an appropriate time with enough
                    time to finish eating. 5.Being out sick more often
                    than the traditional limit. 6.Assistance with
                    blood glucose monitoring or insulin injections,

                 These are examples of some of the things to include
                 in an individual plan. Consult your child's doctor
                 when determining your individual recommendations. 

                 Your Rights 

                 As the parent or legal guardian of a child with
                 diabetes in the public school system, you have the

                    1.To request that your child be found eligible for
                    special services. 2.To schedule a meeting with
                    school officials to develop an
                      Individualized Education Program (IEP) under
                      IDEA or a Section 504 accommodation plan to
                      address your child's specific needs. 
                    3.You have the right to bring experts to this
                    meeting to better explain
                      your child's diabetes management. 
                    4.To develop an IEP or Section 504 plan to
                    accommodate the unique
                      requirements of your child. This plan may
                      precisely set out the types of special related
                      services your child needs to receive. 
                    5.To not sign a plan unless it conforms to your
                    child's medical needs.
                      The law requires that all parties agree to the
                      individual plan before it is established. Be
                      reasonable, but stand firm. 
                    6.To be notified and agree to any proposed changes
                    in your child's
                      plan, to be included in 
                    7.conferences and meetings held to review
                    individualized programs
                      and to approve these changes before they are
                    8.To expect confidentiality of all information
                    concerning your child.
                      No one may see your child's records without your
                      written permission. (There are exceptions to
                      this for school personnel with legitimate
                      educational purposes.) 

                 Facing Discrimination


                 The first step is to educate the school personnel.
                 Use the process of developing an IEP or Section 504
                 plan to educate the school officials about diabetes
                 and how it affects your child. Often, school
                 personnel just do not understand and they are not
                 intentionally discriminating against your child. 


                 During the process of developing your child's
                 individual accommodation plan, you will need to
                 negotiate with the school officials. If the school
                 personnel are wary about making accommodations, it is
                 important for you to know that it is your right to
                 ensure reasonable accommodation. However, you are
                 likely to come to a settlement more easily if you
                 attempt to understand the concerns of the school
                 personnel and negotiate toward an agreement suitable
                 to both parties. 


                 If your child's needs are not being recognized, then
                 you have no choice but to file an administrative
                 complaint with the Department of Education in your
                 state. After exhausting all of your other options,
                 seeking protection in the courts may be necessary to
                 ensure that your child receives a free, appropriate
                 public education. 


                 For information about diabetes:

                 American Diabetes Association
                 1660 Duke Street 
                 Alexandria, VA 22314 


                 For information about an Individualized Education
                 Program or Section 504 Accommodation Plan:

                 National Information Center for Children and Youth
                 with Disabilities P.O. Box 1492 Washington, DC 20013 


                 For technical assistance and referrals for local

                 National Parent Network on Disabilities 
                 1727 King Street, Suite 305
                 Alexandria, VA 22314 

                 (703) 684-6763 
Insulin Pumpers website http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/
for mail subscription assistance, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org