Re: [IP] setting basals...we are confused!

>In a message dated 7/30/99 2:21:30 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
>email @ redacted writes:
>  the endo. group told me that it is better to have an almost even  basal
>  number throughout the 24 hr. period and control blood sugars with the bolus
>  , specifically the carb ration bolus. >>

This seems to defeat the whole advantage of pumping. The whole point is
that you can have your basals match your body's natural rhythms...
something that you can't do with MDI. The dawn effect and morning insulin
resistance are real. Programming different basals to compensate is what its
all about. If your basals are set right, you can skip meals and live a much
more normal life. The point is to make life better for yourself not just
easier for the medical staff. If it takes 5-6 basals to do it, go for it!
Just don't over-control... there are too many variables in day-to-day
living to control things too precisely.

It sounds like this medical group is more used to dealing with MDI than
pumps (just my opinion).